5 Things I Wish I Knew Before My First HSE Officer Job

When I look back at the beginning of my career, I realise that my first HSE Officer job taught me far more than any textbook or safety course ever could. I had the qualifications, I knew the terminology, and I understood the basic principles of occupational health and safety. But stepping onto a real project was a completely different experience.

I quickly discovered that knowing what should happen and knowing how to make it happen are two very different things.

There were situations where I knew the safety requirement but struggled to communicate it. There were times when I focused too much on paperwork. I also learned, sometimes the hard way, that not every unsafe condition can be fixed by simply telling someone, "That's not allowed."

If I could sit down with the person I was before starting my first HSE Officer role, these are the five things I would tell him.

1. My Qualification Wasn't Going to Make People Trust Me

When I started, I thought my qualifications would give me credibility.

I had studied safety principles, risk assessment, legislation, control measures and accident prevention. I knew the hierarchy of controls. I knew what PPE stood for. I could explain the difference between a hazard and a risk.

But none of that automatically meant that the workforce would trust me.

I learned very quickly that people don't necessarily respect you because you have a certificate. They respect you when they see that you understand their work, listen to their concerns and genuinely want to help them.

In the beginning, I made the mistake of concentrating too much on what was wrong.

I would walk through an area, notice an issue and immediately think about how it needed to be corrected. Eventually, I realised I was missing something important: I wasn't always understanding why the situation existed in the first place.

HSE Officer conducting a workplace safety inspection and discussing hazards with workers on a construction site.

So, I started asking more questions.

"How are you normally doing this task?"

"What's making it difficult to follow the procedure?"

"Is the required equipment available?"

"Has anyone shown you the correct method?"

Those conversations changed the way I approached safety.

Sometimes the worker was genuinely taking a shortcut. But sometimes the problem was much deeper, a missing resource, poor planning, inadequate supervision or a procedure that simply didn't match the reality of the job.

That was one of my earliest lessons:

I didn't need to prove that I was the smartest person on site. I needed to become someone people were comfortable approaching about safety.

2. The Site Taught Me What the Classroom Couldn't

I don't regret studying safety. In fact, my formal education gave me the foundation I needed.

But the first time I had to deal with a real workplace hazard, I realised how different theory and practice could be.

On paper, a risk assessment can look simple.

Identify the hazard. Determine who might be harmed. Evaluate the risk. Apply controls. Monitor and review.

On site, however, things change constantly.

A work activity might involve several contractors. The weather can change. Equipment may become unavailable. The sequence of work might be altered. Workers may have different levels of experience. Production pressure can influence decisions.

Suddenly, the risk assessment I read in the office isn't the whole story.

I learned that I needed to spend time where the work was actually happening.

If workers were performing lifting operations, I wanted to understand the lifting process.

If there was excavation work, I wanted to see how the excavation was being carried out.

If workers were using mobile equipment, I wanted to understand how pedestrians and vehicles interacted.

The more I observed, the more I understood.

I also developed a habit that has stayed with me: when I don't understand something, I write it down and learn about it.

I don't think an HSE professional should be embarrassed about not knowing everything.

The Health and Safety Executive's guidance on risk assessment is a useful reference because it explains the basic process of identifying hazards, evaluating risks and putting appropriate controls in place.
HSE – Riskassessment

I found that resources like this became much more useful when I could connect them to something I had actually seen on site.

Theory gave me the framework.

The site gave me understanding.

3. I Wish I Had Understood Earlier That Communication Was a Safety Skill

If someone had told me at the beginning of my career that communication would be one of my most important HSE skills, I probably wouldn't have fully appreciated it.

I do now.

As an HSE Officer, I might have to speak to a worker in the morning, a foreman five minutes later, an engineer after that and a project manager before lunch.

I can't communicate with all of them in exactly the same way.

One of the biggest mistakes I made early in my career was thinking that being firm meant being confrontational.

I gradually realised there was a difference between being assertive and being aggressive.

If I saw an immediate danger, I had to be clear. There were situations where stopping the work was absolutely necessary.

But not every safety conversation needed to sound like an argument.

Instead of saying:

"You're doing this wrong."

I learned to ask:

"Can you explain to me how you're controlling this risk?"

That question often opened a much better conversation.

I could understand their thinking, and they could understand why I was concerned.

I also learned that listening is part of communication.

If a worker repeatedly doesn't wear a particular item of PPE, I shouldn't automatically conclude that the worker doesn't care about safety.

Maybe the PPE doesn't fit.

Maybe it is uncomfortable.

Maybe the worker hasn't been trained properly.

Maybe the correct PPE hasn't been provided.

Maybe the worker doesn't understand the hazard.

The answer matters.

That is why I now see communication as more than simply giving instructions. Good HSE communication is about understanding people well enough to influence their decisions.

4. I Nearly Became Too Focused on Paperwork

This was another lesson I had to learn through experience.

HSE work involves a lot of documentation.

Risk assessments.

Method statements.

Inspection reports.

Toolbox talks.

Training records.

Permit-to-work systems.

Incident reports.

Near-miss reports.

Corrective action trackers.

The list can feel endless.

When I was starting out, I sometimes felt productive simply because I had completed a lot of paperwork.

Then I realised something uncomfortable:

A completed form doesn't automatically mean a safe workplace.

A toolbox talk can be signed by 30 workers, but that doesn't necessarily mean those workers understood the message.

A risk assessment can be beautifully written, but the controls might not exist in the field.

An inspection checklist can be completed perfectly while an unsafe condition remains untouched.

That changed how I approached documentation.

I started treating paperwork as evidence—not as the safety activity itself.

If a risk assessment says workers are protected by a particular control, I want to see that control.

If a toolbox talk covers a specific hazard, I want to speak to workers and see whether they understand it.

If an inspection identifies a problem, I want to know whether the corrective action was actually closed.

The HSE's HSG65 guidance on managing health and safety also emphasises integrating safety into normal management rather than treating it simply as a paperwork exercise. HSE– Managing for health and safety (HSG65)

That distinction has stayed with me:

I don't want to become an HSE Officer who manages documents. I want to be an HSE professional who uses documents to support what is happening in the workplace.

5. I Wish I Had Been More Comfortable Saying "I Don't Know"

This is probably the most important lesson I learned.

When you're new, there is a strange pressure to appear knowledgeable.

Someone asks you a technical question, and you feel that because you're the HSE Officer, you should immediately have the answer.

I felt that pressure too.

But safety isn't the place to guess.

If I don't know the answer to something important, I would much rather say:

"I'm not sure. Let me verify that and come back to you."

Then I research it, check the relevant standard or legislation, speak to someone competent, and return with an accurate answer.

I learned that saying "I don't know" doesn't make me look weak.

Giving someone an incorrect answer when safety is involved is far worse.

Over time, I also understood that becoming a good HSE professional means accepting that learning never stops.

There is always another regulation to understand, another type of equipment to learn about, another industry practice to investigate, and another experience from which to learn.

That mindset has helped me considerably.

I don't expect myself to know everything.

I expect myself to keep learning.

For professional development, I have also found the resources and development framework provided by IOSH valuable as a reference for building a long-term career in health and safety. IOSH

What I Would Do Differently If I Started Again

If I could go back to my first 90 days as an HSE Officer, I would approach them differently.

During my first month, I would observe more

I would spend less time trying to demonstrate what I knew and more time learning how the workplace actually operated.

I would learn the people, processes, equipment, major hazards, emergency arrangements, procedures and reporting structure.

Most importantly, I would ask questions.

During my second month, I would participate more

I would become more involved in inspections, toolbox talks, risk assessments, incident investigations and corrective actions.

I would start building relationships with supervisors and workers rather than only approaching them when something was wrong.

During my third month, I would start improving things

Once I understood the workplace, I would look for recurring problems.

If the same housekeeping issue appeared repeatedly, I'd ask why.

If corrective actions kept becoming overdue, I'd look at the process.

If workers repeatedly misunderstood a control, I'd look at how the information was being communicated.

I learned that identifying a problem is only half of the HSE job.

The real value comes from helping the organisation solve it.

I Don't Want to Be the "Safety Police"

One of the biggest changes in my thinking has been how I view the role itself.

I don't want to be known as the person who walks around looking for someone to blame.

I don't want workers to see me coming and immediately think, "Here comes the safety guy."

I want them to feel that they can come to me when something doesn't feel right.

Of course, there are moments when I have to be firm.

If someone is exposed to an immediate and serious danger, I cannot compromise simply to maintain a good relationship.

But outside those situations, I believe influence is more powerful than intimidation.

My goal is not just to make people behave safely while I'm standing there.

My goal is to help create an environment where people make safer decisions even when nobody from HSE is watching.

That, to me, is a much stronger measure of safety culture.

Final Thoughts

When I think about my first HSE Officer job now, I realise that the biggest lessons weren't necessarily about regulations, risk matrices or inspection forms.

They were about people.

I learned that qualifications open doors, but behaviour builds credibility.

I learned that the workplace can teach me things that no classroom can fully replicate.

I learned that communication is just as important as technical knowledge.

I learned that paperwork supports safety but doesn't create it.

And, perhaps most importantly, I learned that I don't have to know everything, as long as I'm willing to keep learning.

If you're about to start your first HSE Officer job, don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself to have all the answers from day one.

Listen. Observe. Ask questions. Learn from your mistakes. Spend time in the field. And never stop developing yourself.

Your first job isn't supposed to prove that you already know everything.

It's where you start becoming the professional you eventually want to be.

What did your first HSE job teach you?

If you've already started your career in health and safety, I'd genuinely like to hear from you.

Leave a comment below and tell me the one thing you wish someone had told you before your first HSE Officer job.

And if you're preparing to enter the HSE profession, subscribe to the blog for more practical safety career advice, workplace lessons, professional development guidance and real-world HSE content.

Comments